Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Is the NYT really as liberal as it's made out to be?

Is the NYT really as liberal as it's made out to be? (Page 2)
Thorzdad
Feb 6, 2018, 10:30 AM

It's a story in the Fresno Bee about events in Fresno aimed at an area Congressman. Sounds like local coverage to me. Just because you can access it anywhere doesn't make it "national, headline news."

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2018, 11:02 AM

If this is a reply to my comment, that’s the point.

The Fresno Bee reports what matters to locals, the NYT reports national news. The difference in coverage between them is due to that, not their respective political slants.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 6, 2018, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Protesters say ‘Nunes must go’ after release of controversial memo | The Fresno Bee

Several dozen people in Fresno on Saturday called for Rep. Devin Nunes to step down as chairman of the House Intelligence Committee.”

I posit this isn’t national, headline news.
I agree but neither was the NYTs. That's another part of why the headline is irritating.

Edit: By saying Nunes constituents don't care about the memo they imply the memo must not be that controversial or important

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2018, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I agree but neither was the NYTs. That's another part of why the headline is irritating.

Edit: By saying Nunes constituents don't care about the memo they imply the memo must not be that controversial or important
Okay... I can see that beef, but I read it differently.

This is a story about Nunes’ district. The only way that matters in a national context vis-a-vis the memo is whether his constituents will axe him over it.

I’m guessing there’s no indication they will, and that’s what the Times is reporting.

Defending the Times makes me feel dirty.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2018, 04:27 PM

To put it another way, I think the subtext of the headline is the exact opposite of claiming the memo is unimportant. The memo being important is a given. This can be ascertained by all the column inches the Times is devoting to it. In that framework, the subtext of the headline is more like “don’t expect this to change these idiots’ minds”.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2018, 06:53 PM

To put it another another way, now that I reread your post and understand it better, how his district will respond to his shenanigans at the polls is national news.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 6, 2018, 09:35 PM

Okay... I can see that beef, but I read it differently.

This is a story about Nunes’ district. The only way that matters in a national context vis-a-vis the memo is whether his constituents will axe him over it.

I’m guessing there’s no indication they will, and that’s what the Times is reporting.

Defending the Times makes me feel dirty.
To put it another another way, now that I reread your post and understand it better, how his district will respond to his shenanigans at the polls is national news.
That just makes this story more pointless. Maybe if they bothered to poll the district to put it into the spotlight it might have been worthwhile.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2018, 01:47 PM

Sure it’s pointless. I read it and it’s pretty fluffy, but the question is if it’s slanted.

FWIW, they seem sensitive to your criticism and redid the headline to put more weight on the memo’s importance.

New headline is “Washington Is Abuzz Over the Nunes Memo. His California District, Not So Much”.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 13, 2018, 09:29 PM

For the pro-active and morbidly curious, google Quinn Norton and bask in the warm glow.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 13, 2018, 11:50 PM

"Investigating Quinn Norton, NYTimes Sees No Clear Link To Neo-Nazis."

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2018, 05:34 AM

Norton is awesome, and I’m too ****ing pissed off about this to write constructively.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2018, 02:25 PM

**** you New York Times. Norton has more integrity in her ****ing fingernail than you have in your entire newsroom.

Context is dead, and you helped kill it you spineless pieces of shit.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 15, 2018, 11:59 PM

Was her being friendly with neo-nazis out of context?

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2018, 12:13 PM

Have you ever noticed the blueprint for every neo-Nazi who disavows their Nazism is the same?

“It wasn’t until [unexpected person] reached out to me that I was able to realize how wrong I was.”

Every single one of these examples required someone being friendly to a neo-Nazi.

This is the context of her friendship, and it’s obvious to anyone even glancingly familiar with her turbo-progressive politics. The proposition her friendship implies sympathy to Nazism on her part is ignorant.

Forum Links
Forum Rules